Ratu Boko Palace near Prambanan Temple
Ratu Boko is an archaeological site in the form of royal palace of Old Mataram Kingdom from 8th century according the history of Old Mataram Kingdom, Ratu Boko palace was used by Sailendra Dinasti(Rakai Panangkaran) long before the time of King Samaratungga (the establishment of Borobudur Temple) and the Rakai Pikatan (the establishement of Prambanan Temple). Besides Leaving the historical evidence in the form of inscriptions scattered in Java, the Old Mataram Kingdom built many temples, both Hindu and Buddhist patterned. The finding of gold artefacts in Wonoboyo indicate the richness of art and culture. That temples are Kalasan Temple, Plaosan Temple, Prambanan Temple, Sewu Temple, Mendhut Temple, Pawon Temple, Borobudur Temple and many more.
According to the ancient inscription that as made by Rakai Panagkaran in 746 -748 AD, at the beginning the building around Ratu Boko Temple Heritage site called Abhaya Giri Wihara.
Abhaya means no danger or peace. Abhayagiri means the Buddhist monk dormitory (vihara) that is located at the peaceful area on top of the hill. in the next period between 856 – 863 AD. Abhayagiri Wihara changed its name became Walaiang Kraton that is proclaimed by Vasal Rakai named Rakai Walang Pu Kumbayoni. Mantyasih Inscription, which was built in 898 – 908 AD by Rakai Watukara Dyah Balitung, still mentioned Walaiang as the pedigree of Punta Tarka who mades Mantyasih inscription. From the beginning of 10th century until the end of 16th century, there is no news about Kraton Walaing.
The name Of Ratu Boko comes from local people folk, Ratu Boko (in javanese language means the king heron) was the father of Loro Jonggrang, which became the name of the main temple at Prambanan Temple complex.
Ratu Boko Palace near Prambanan Temple now just left some archaeological remains , there are :
- Main gate that consist 2 gateway
- Pembakaran Temple and the holly wells. In the Past, water from Holly well used in religious ceremonies on the Pembakaran temples, it is believed that the water brings luck for anyone who used it.
- Paseban (Pondx). the two paseban are estimated facing each other, but its function still unknown for certain. Its called paseban by analogy with the palace at the present time, Paseban is a waiting room for guests who want to meet the King.
- Pendopo (Public audience hall).
- Cave. There are Lanang Cave and Wadond cave, Its called wadon cave because there is such a relief dipicting female genital (yoni symbol) above the door. Yoni symbol usually equipped with Lingga (a symbol of male genital), which is one of the representation of God Siwa in Hindu religion. The unity between Lingga and Yoni causes of fertile and prosperous. This cave was thought a place to meditate.
- Keputren(princessly place).
Ratu Boko Palace near Prambanan Temple, mysterious ancient building purpose located on Plateu, about 3(three) kilometers south of Prambanan Temple, the hill has an latitude 196.97 m above the sea level with an area of about 160.898 meter square. See the beautiful view of Prambanan Temple from the top of the hill with Mount Merapi as the background can be clerly seen from this site. Heading to the west, the view of Jogja city can also be seen. To take south, there are breathtaking panorma of Seribu Hills(wonosari area). The Best to Visit is Sunset time.